12.12.2012

gift.

I grew up a luckier kid than you. Sorry. It's just true.

Here's why. I got 2 birthdays.
Well. Sort of.

Today is my airplane day. I was adopted from South Korea and today, 26 years ago, my parents drove to New York City and picked up their Christmas gift for the year.
(It was me... in case you hadn't picked up on that yet.)

Every year, I look back, grateful for my parents and for the life that I know is a complete and total blessing. I can't help but look at what I have, where I am and who I've become and realize that God has had a hand in all of it, from the very beginning.

Because I could have grown up in another country...
... with a different family
... with a different religion
... and never met you.

I think this adoption thing has always given me perspective on how God orchestrates even just one small Korean kid's life. He's been taking care of me from the beginning, before I even had a concept of God.

So today, I'm grateful for my parents - who took a huge risk with their hearts to bring this Korean kid into their family, my sister - who was so excited to get a little sister and has been worried about me ever since, my family - who never treated me like anything but a part of things, and my friends - who are a gift to get to do life with.

Today's a gift.
And if God cared about a 3 month old Asian kid... He cares about you. You matter.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this and crying. You were a spe ial gift to all the family, sweet Michelle. Thanking God for you and God's sovereignty in our lives.

    Love and prayers,
    Elaine Miller

    ReplyDelete