7.17.2013

home.


I've been home for just over 24 hours after spending a week or so in Africa and far too long on a plane. I had the chance to go with a group of high school students to Iganga, Uganda at Musana. Musana is a community development organization dedicated to more than just kids, more than just orphans and widows, more than just sustainability.

It's all of that.
It's a dairy farm and a chicken coop.
It's giving dignity back to widows and giving them opportunity to provide for their families.
It's training kids at school to be the best Ugandan citizens and letting them dream about becoming welders, police officers, pilots and statesmen.
It's water and a well for the surrounding community.
It's jobs - teachers, farmers, social workers, accountants - for Ugandans.

I'm still thinking through a lot of what I learned during my time in Uganda, but the memory that stands out to me the most was during our final lunch with the kids at Musana.

This is Emma. I had the chance to hang out with this brilliant 10-year-old much of the week. He wants to be a pilot. When we said our goodbyes, he made me pinkie promise with him that we would never forget each other. I didn't know how to tell him that there's no way I ever could.

Emma lost his dad and brother. Musana is giving him the chance to live out his dreams and learn that there's a God that loves him. He's one of the strongest, smartest kids I think I've ever met. And someday soon - because of the investment of the Ugandan teachers and people at Musana - he's going to change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment