5.30.2012

the cool kids

In high school, it was the very end of the lunchroom tables.
In college, it was the tables to the right, closest to the hot food bar.
Yep. I'm talking about where "the cool kids" sat.
Be shocked. I never sat at either of those.

When I looked at "the cool kids," I saw girls who knew what to wear, how to wear it and perfectly applied makeup. I saw confidence. I saw girls that I didn't think knew my  name and wouldn't give me the time of day. I didn't even look at the boys. Pssh. They were busy looking at the "pretty girls."

In college, somehow I accidentally ended up dating one of "the cool guys." He wasn't anything like I expected. Down to earth. Goofy like I was. Loved Jesus and people and wanted to use his "power" as a "cool kid" to influence others. He didn't look down on my friends or me. He just had never met us before.

That changed my opinion of the pretty girls. And made me realize, they were just people (who happened to be more together than I was). Now, two of my best friends are girls I would have considered too-cool-to-be-friends-with-me in high school and college. Talking with them has made me realize, they are battling the same thing I am. That we all are.

Not feeling good enough.

They can't wrap their head around how wonderful, talented and beautiful they really are.
They don't see how fun they are to be with.
They are just as scared as the rest of us to put themselves out there and let someone see their heart. Even though what's there, is stunning.

I think the thing that women - and possibly all people - need to hear, is that you're valuable. God created you. He loves you. Enough to send His Son as a sacrifice. For you. That alone makes you loved.

You're not as ugly as you think you are.
Or as awkward as you see yourself.
And the insecurity you feel? It's okay. We all feel it. We're all nervous to be vulnerable. We're all scared to let our heart get broken. Again.
So let's search together for the balance. Let people care about you. Let them see who you really are. Realize that the God who created everything, loves you above all else.

And that's never going to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment