9.06.2012

grandparents

Grandparents day was always a big deal at my school when I was growing up. It wasn't a competition, but if it were, I would have won best grandparents in the class, if I do say so myself. They were a big part of my growing-up years and shared a lot of wisdom with me. Here are just 4 of the many pearls of wisdom they shared with me:

1) Let the dog go
My grandma had the awesomest dog ever named Cindy. Cindy was a mutt with a lot of spunk who liked to run out the door as often as she could. I remember one distinct time Cindy ran away and I was SO close to being able to catch her (and by so close, I mean, I was like... 5 and ran as fast as my chubby, kindergarten legs would take me out the front door). My grandmother told me to let her go. She'd come back if we didn't chase her.  
Life Lesson 1 - sometimes we have to hold the things we love with an open hand.

2) Always walk for donuts
My mom went back to work after I started school, but I only had half days and my mom was working full days. That meant I got to spend my afternoons with Grandma. We'd walk the trail near her house to "downtown" (my town had 800 people in it, hence the quotes) to our favorite donut shop. It was across from the post office and liquor store, but they were the best donut holes I've ever had before or since.
 Life Lesson 2 - Donuts and also just, life is better when you get there with people you love.

3) Feed your family
Because my entire family lived so close, we spent all our major holidays together. My granny, no matter how tired she was or how many people were expected to come, always had us over to her house. She'd cook for days leading up to a holiday and always knew exactly how many potatoes she needed to make for each person to have some that day and enough for leftovers.  
Life Lesson 3 - being together is important. Be a catalyst to make it happen.

4) Be Scottish
Granny was born and raised in Edinburgh, Scotland. She's got a killer accent and Scottish pride. When it came to her kids and grandkids, Granny is the one who wouldn't beat around the bush. We never had to wonder what she felt about anything because she told us, tempered with love and usually over soup (she makes incredible homemade soup).
Life Lesson 4 - Speak truth to those you love. It will serve them well.

I don't call either of them as much as I should, but, Grandma and Granny, if you ever have the chance to read this, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment