10.24.2012

perspective.




This is Jessica Ridgeway. Unless you've been living under a rock for the last month, you already know her name and her story.

Today they arrested the man they suspect is her killer.

And by man, I mean 17-year old.


Since the news has broken, I've gotten 3 different perspectives. Each valuable. Each wildly different.

First - I got a call from a listener to the radio station, concerned that people were so focused on praying for Jessica Ridgeway's family that they would also forget to pray for the killer's family. Her heart was especially for his mother who has to be going through unbelievable disbelief when her son turned himself in. I can't imagine what either family has to be going through.

Second - One of the high school students from my church texted me. She had classes with him. Sat next to him. Knew his name, his face and that he was nice to her. Her school is in emotional disarray today. I can't imagine what those who knew him are feeling... teachers, friends, parents. All feeling responsible for a crime they didn't commit.

Third - A friend of mine posted that there are people who die - in the thousands, all over the world and even all over this country - every day. And they don't get even half the attention that this little girl has gotten. I can't imagine the ache those families feel... but I'm sure the parents of Jessica Ridgeway envy their privacy.

A grieving community.
Two families losing their children.
A school full of confused high schoolers.

Where's God?

He's there. He's been in the teams of people searching for a girl they don't even know. He's been in the police officers who've worked long hours to bring justice for a family. He's in the counselors who are talking to students who have no idea how something so terrible could have happened in their own backyard.

There is evil. But the good that we see is the evidence of God. And it can't be ignored.

Let's remember life. And not take for granted the limited time that we have with the people we love.
Let's pray. For justice. And for peace. 

Life is short.
And in even the middle of all of this... God is good.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Michelle. Brings tears to my eyes once again. And more perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great perspectives. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. So true. Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work in the ER and I can tell you that not all crimes against children are headlines, not all tragedies make the news. I find it odd when a community, and or a nation fixated on one event like this. Sometimes it seems like everyone wants to be part of it. It's not my tragedy. Will I show compassion for those involved? YES!! I will show compassion, support, and pray for them the same way I do for those I know who cannot afford to feed their children, have lost their home, suffered pain or lost a loved one. My heart just cannot take living everyone else's tragedy. That is what God is for - I have to give it to him instead, and give thanks for all that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Michelle - for your perspective and wise words. We continue to pray - but in a broader sense. And praise God for his presence in all circumstances.

    ReplyDelete