1.08.2012

men.

At church today, we were asked if we could think of 5 men who were great men. I realized, I am privileged to have been surrounded by some great men in my life and I'm not sure I've ever thanked them or let them know how much they've meant to me.

Pastor Butler 
He was quite possibly the biggest influencer in who I am today. He challenged me as a leader. To be better. To dream big. And to do things that had never even been thought of before. He inspired confidence and helped me to make my faith my own. (and taught important lessons on Helen Keller.)

Dan
At first, I wasn't really sure what to think about this guy who just seemed well, not that friendly. But he became one of my greatest friends - one of the few people that I'd ever met who thinks like me. I admired his drive. And his passion for accomplishing whatever he set his mind to.

David
He was the only person in college who spanned all of the same interests I had. We did ministry, church, the radio station and even volleyball together. I heard about his heartbreaks and he listened when I wasn't sure what was going on in my heart. We spent a lot of time driving back to our hometowns together, searching for Wendy's and is currently a great husband to an awesome woman. (even if he is a NASCAR fan)

Nate
I've never met anyone like him. He isn't afraid to be open about what he's feeling. He's honest. And cares deeply for his friends and the kids he's invested his life in. He is quick to compliment and slow to criticize. In tough situations, he handles himself with poise and has always been a first responder when things in my world get turned upside down.

Tucker
Charisma. I can't think of a more appropriate word than that. I've never met someone more admired by the people around him than this guy. Kids want to be him, including doing crazy sports like cross country, just to be like him. He's steady and when I felt like things were falling apart, this man that I'd only known for a matter of months, was first on scene and has been ever since.

I know there are others that I'm forgetting.
A teacher who took in a high schooler who had nowhere else to go
Profs and pastors who constantly challenged my way of thinking
Friends who were always there, stayed up late, listened to me rant and protected me well.

While I've witnessed a good amount of men who haven't been good friends, dads, or husbands, I'm grateful that I can say I've also been surrounded by some great men, fantastic teachers and excellent friends.
Good. Men.

So if you feel like you've been trying your best to be a good man, know this - the women in your life likely see it. And are so appreciative.

1 comment: