7.01.2012

a song

Blessed be Your name in a land that is plentiful, where Your streams of abundance flow.
Blessed be Your name.
Blessed be Your name when I'm found in the desert place. Though I walk through the wilderness,
Blessed be Your name.

When I first moved to a new state, a new timezone and a new life-stage just over 5 years ago, I spent a bunch of months searching for a place to go to church.

If you've never had to "church shop" by yourself before, consider yourself fortunate.
It's awful.

I have some ridiculous stories about people's insane ignorance about racism to some out and out awful stories of the least welcome I've ever felt in a building.

In one of those churches we sang the song "Blessed Be Your Name" by Matt Redman. I don't remember the name of the church because I had tried so many, but I remember it was in the auditorium of an elementary school in uncomfortable foldy-theatre style chairs. I couldn't hold back the tears. I felt like I was in an endless desert, alone, and how could I sing these words "Blessed be Your name" because the name I was blessing had forgotten me.

Today we sang that song again. A different church. And completely different circumstances.

We talked today about how difficult it can sometimes be to follow God when things are good. I know I have a hard time with that. I forget that the reason things are good, is because God is good. But I don't want to forget that I am still not who I need to be.

I'm independent to a fault.
I say things I don't mean.
I talk too much and don't listen enough.

Today I get to be in the land that's plentiful.
Unfortunately, today I also am watching two families in my community walking through the most painful desert of their life.

And there's nothing I can do to help. Nothing will make it better.

But the same God who makes seasons of our life good, walks with us through the chaos.
So pray with me today for the people in my life who are in the valley.
And remember the God of the valley, is the God on the plateau and we need Him just as much there.

1 comment:

  1. Will be praying... Btw.. I know exactly how that Church feeling is.. Despite serving at my church with the media team (running lights, or video).. I still don't belong there.. and I have "shopped" around at various churches... but that's not the point of this post..

    I will be praying for the people in your life. God will see them thru I am sure. I will also throw up a few prayers for those not in your life because I know your area is going thru a lot right now

    Blessings, Matt

    ReplyDelete