7.10.2012

supporting cast

Today is my friend Nicole's birthday. This pretty much gives you a good picture of who we are:


She's the upbeat, charming, happy one. I'm.... the other one.

I've long told her that it's an honor to play her supporting actress in the story of our lives. If we were to title it, I think it might be named Working with Middle Schoolers: A tale of a Ginger and an Asian who never really grew up. It would not be politically correct. (sorry.)

Nicole remembers meeting me and not wanting to be around me.
I remember meeting her and being really tired. (what? just being honest.)

Nicole remembers when we got to know each other and she realized that I was human - messed up and broken.
I remember when we got to know each other and I thought... this girl is who I want to be. She's me... only better. Nicer. Prettier.
She genuinely cares about people.
She accepts advice and criticism well.
She hands out compliments like they're candy on Halloween.
She's good at her job (but would never admit it).
She's a people magnet.
She loves Jesus. And strives to become more like Him in every area of her life.

Nicole thinks I influence her.
I know better.

We often picture our lives as stories to be told that always revolve around us. I'd much rather be in Nicole's story. She's the kind of character in a movie that you want to root for. She's always late... lost a lot... and sometimes runs into things, but you just want her to succeed.
Because she's the person you hope that you can be someday.

Happy birthday, my friend. Hope this year is your best yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment