8.29.2012

fear

Is it vain if sometimes I read back over my old blog posts? Because I definitely do. It's sort of like going back through your journal and seeing where you were. It's a little embarrassing, but eye-opening too - like you can't believe you were feeling that only a few months ago.

I went to an absolutely incredible concert last night and this song struck me:

There will come a time, you'll see with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.
[after the storm - mumford and sons]
One of my good friends came over for dinner last week and we talked about the stuff that scares us the most. Both of us look at our past and see brokenness, especially in our relationships. As we talked she said, "I'm just afraid of getting hurt again."

My reply (because I'm snarky sometimes) was, "No one wakes up in the morning and says, 'I hope I get my heart broken today.'" But we can't keep people at arm's length just in case they hurt us somewhere down the road. Because... let's be honest, none of us are perfect so we're going to hurt each other. The difference between a relationship that lasts and one that doesn't, is how you respond when you hurt or get hurt.

Love is high risk.
But it's also high reward.

2 comments: