12.12.2011

airplane.

This is my family.
You may notice something about them. They are white.
My mom and sister look almost exactly alike (although, don't tell my sister I said that).
Me? Not white. Korean. Through and through.

Today is the day my family celebrates what my mom calls "her best Christmas ever." The day I came to America from South Korea. The day I became a part of a family. My Airplane Day.

None of the other kids in school had one of these days. It was like having a second birthday. And I got to bring in my Korean flag and tell all the kids the same story about coming to America and how my parents chose me... me! to become a part of their family.

There's nothing like being chosen. In fact, I think it's what we were created for. When Paul talks about being "adopted as sons," I understand that better than someone who was not adopted. I.was.chosen. Not because of anything I had done. Or because I was cuter than all of the other kids at the orphanage. Or because at 3 months old I was showing great potential to be something. I was chosen just. because.

In my family, we fight. We laugh. We make fun of each other. We relive silly memories from childhood like the time my sister cut off my ear or when we used to drive around listening to our favorite Chicago songs. My parents were at every basketball match. Every volleyball game. Every figure skating tournament (even the one I forgot my ice skates for). My cousins taught me to love sports and how to play them. My grandparents skipped waves with me in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. And spoiled the dickens out of their youngest grandchild.

Today I'm reminded of how big God is. And how everyone I meet - from people who spend years with me to people who spend just a few days or weeks - is there on purpose. Because I could be speaking a different language. In a different country. Eating nasty, nasty kimchi (blech!).

Instead, God has me here. And I'm amazed. And so incredibly grateful.

My dad just sent me this email:
Happy airplane day, honey. We were so excited that day, we couldn't stand it. Love, Dad.

And now, my boss is going to wonder why I'm tearing up in my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment