4.10.2012

mom.

This is my mom and me over the highest suspension bridge in the world, the Royal Gorge. She's going to read this and call me and tell me that she hates this picture. Sorry, Mom. You're talking in all of the other pictures I have.


My mom is fantastic. When I was in elementary school, I remember her coming on field trips and being so proud that MY mom was the one driving my friends and me around to the post office, the science center and the local grocery store.

As I got older, my mom and I spent about a billion hours in the car driving to figure skating lessons and competitions. Then basketball. Then volleyball. Practices. Games. Millions of them. Even though she had worked a whole day at her stressful job, she still got us dinner (sometimes it was ice cream) and made sure we were all taken care of. And she pretended to know what was going on in all of the sports I played.

She helped me find my first job, drove me to look at colleges, somehow found a place for me to live in Colorado and is always there to answer the phone, even when it's an ungodly hour on the East Coast.

When we went to the grocery store in my town, my mom always knew someone. One of her students was there or someone from church or someone she went to school with. I don't think she's ever forgotten a face of someone she's met. She's got the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met and I was fortunate enough that she passed even a little bit of her compassionate spirit on to me. She never half-cares about someone. When she loves, she loves you, your kids, your parents, your aunts, your distant relatives and even your pets.

The good (and also some of the crazy) in me is my mom's influence. She showed me what it meant to be a mom, a daughter, a sister and a friend. She's one of those people that you just ... tell things to. Because she'll listen. And she'll love you through it. No matter what.

So happy (super belated) birthday, Mom. I love you and I'm beyond grateful for who you have helped me become.

No comments:

Post a Comment