4.26.2012

a moment.

I had dinner tonight with my favorite couple. I admire the way they complement each other. He knows her face so well that he can recognize what she's saying without words. She supports him and believes in him with whatever he tries and they are both better for it.

And now they're parents.

He describes the moment in their blog like this:
[That] I was now officially a father, and [that] from this point forward my entire life had changed!
One moment.
The rest of your life... never the same again.

For me, that was the move away from the life I knew in upstate New York. I left home in May 2007 and haven't looked back. I rented my first apartment and made a commitment to living in a state that I had never even visited before moving there.

Along the way I've made some big mistakes. The ones I made commitments not to make when I was in 8th grade. They caught up to me in big ways. The ways that leave you feeling like it might storm forever.

I've also found a big God. The One who takes what looks like shreds of a wrecked life and makes it into something He can use. I've found good friends. The kind that makes you laugh harder than anyone else ever has. That you walk in the rain with like you're in a bad indie movie.

It's crazy to think about the way life would be different if I had stayed in New York or moved back to Ohio or made one of a thousand other decisions. But here I am. And even when I've questioned what in the world is going on in my life, I haven't doubted for a second. This is where I should be.

at least. for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment